Thursday, October 3, 2013

Week 1 EOC: My Voice

I am a Fashion Retail and Management student at The Art Institute of Las Vegas, NV. I'm going to be a designer and buyer for a big name company. Id like to one day work for Hot-topic or design some glitzy costumes for drag queens. I originally got into studying fashion because of a reality TV show on the LOGO channel "Rue Paul's Drag Race." I'm a proud supporter of gay and lesbian rights to marriage, I believe if your an American citizen you should have the right to receive equal rights as any every day American. Some may not agree with my opinion, but how i feel on the subject wont be changed any time soon. Anyways, In the Show i watched these participates create amazing garments out of simple materiel. I was awe-stuck when one possible candidate on the show dared to challenged the professionalism of a military uniform. Being as when i attended high school, I so happened to be in a military program. I had been in this program for four years of my life, and was of a high ranking. A Cadet 2nd Ltd., an officer who had a job to maintain a squadron, Air Force Jr. ROTC. Practically gave me a second chance on life, it opened a new perspective upon my surroundings. Most people when i was younger doubted my capabilities a lot because of a learning disability. Especially family, like my mother for whom should be more supportive about how i made it to college. But I do understand how she feels about the situation, I mean she is very proud that I set such high standards towards a good education. She rather have me home, then to see her children leave so soon to college. To actually desire a degree, so I may achieve excellence for a better future. Then how my parents had suffered living off of the state, paycheck to paycheck. I just want a better life then what my parents had, to love what i do in a promising career. Otherwise, I would have went towards going in the Navy, for this was my second option. At last my motivation comes from someone who has long past left this world, His name was Max Garcia. He was a gunner's mate third class upon the USS Irwin during the Korean War, He died May 4, 2011, my great grandfather. I was a sophomore at the time, and had the privileged to present the flag in my uniform that was issued to me. I still tell this man's story to the Air Force Jr. ROTC i had been apart of for high school. Three years of telling his life and it still manages to bring a young lady like me to tears. He meant a lot to my family, merely the foundation to the our union, someone who made everyone who met him. Simply smile, he meant a lot to me, but i know he was never the type of man to give up on a hard obstacle that can be overcome. So for only this man i continue to work harder on my education, because i certainly wont be giving up anytime soon. There are times when subjects get a bit overwhelming, but my way of copping with the stress. Is i write poetry, I'm quiet good at writing poetry, for i have 70 poems published on a website. I get friends, family, and merely strangers ask me everyday that i have a talent for poetry. The most commonly asked question is, "why didn't you become a poet? or get a novel going?". Truth is, I am getting a novel published soon but only when i reach a long term goal of 100 poems published. I plan to be a part-time poet as well if that is even possible, id make it possible. Its something i enjoy greatly, i might even continue to write more after i have reached my set goal. But we'll see what the future holds, with many stories of gore, anger, sadness, eroticism, and heart into my work. I think a lot of people is this world have odd ways of getting inspiration or have very unique talents. Its what sets each other apart, and make us individuals. The Art Institute certainly does receive the genuinely unique category of society in its structures. No one should feel ashamed of there defining talents or traits like learning capabilities, or certain characteristics.   

No comments:

Post a Comment